DISASTER MEDICINE No.1 •2023
Medical-Sanitary Consequences of Emergency Situations in the World, 2012–2021
Evdokimov V.I. 1, Rybnikov V.Yu. 1
1 A.M.Nikiforov Russian Center of Emergency and Radiation Medicine, EMERCOM of Russia, St. Petersburg, Russian Federation
UDC 614.84 (100)
Summary. Investigation purpose – to analyze and summarize data about medical-sanitary consequences of major emergency situations (ES) in the world for last 10 years (2012–2021).
Materials and methods of the investigation. An object of investigation – data base about major ES in the world (The Emergency Events Database, EM-DAT: OFDA/CRED) [https://public.emdat.be/]. Average annual data is presented by median, upper and lower quartiles (Me [q25; q75]). Risks of injury, illness or death because of ES were calculated for 1 million people (10–6). Analysis of dynamic of changing medical-sanitary indicators of consequences of major ES in the world were provided by analysis of dynamic series with calculating of 2nd stage polynomial trend and determination coefficient.
Investigation results and their analysis. From 2012 till 2021 in EM-DAT data base 5533 major ES were presented, including 877 natural disasters, 1814 technogenic disasters. With low determination coefficients polynomial trends show, as rule, a tendency of ES number reduction, decreasing of risks of injury, illness and appearance of ES with medical-sanitary consequences.
Key words: EM-DAT data base, major emergency situations, medical-sanitary consequences, risks
Conflict of interest. The authors declare no conflict of interest
For citation: Evdokimov V.I., Rybnikov V.Yu. Medical-Sanitary Consequences of Emergency Situations in the World, 2012–2021. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2023;1:18-22 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2023-1-18-22
- Human Cost of Disasters: An Overview of the Last 20 Years (2000–2019). Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED), UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR). Ed. Mizutori M., Guha-Sapir D. Brussels, 2019. 29 p.
- Jones R.L., Guha-Sapir D., Tubeuf S. Human and Economic Impacts of Natural Disasters: Can we Trust the Global Data? Scientific Data. 2022;9;1:572. DOI: 10.1038/s41597-022-01667-x.
- Akimov V.A., Sokolov Yu.I. Major Emergencies in 2002. Strategiya Grazhdanskoy Zashchity: Problemy i Issledovaniya. 2013;3;2:283–352 (In Russ.).
- Akimov V.A., Sokolov Yu.I. The Largest Emergencies in Russia and the World in 2006. Strategiya Grazhdanskoy Zashchity: Problemy i Issledovaniya. 2014;4;1:392–456 (In Russ.).
- Ries M., Zielonka M., Garbade S. et al. Disasters in Germany and France: an Analysis of the Emergency Events Database from a Pediatric Perspective. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. 2019;13;5-6:958–965. DOI: 10.1017/dmp.2019.24.
- Ahmad J., Ahmad M.M., Su Z. et al. A Systematic Analysis of Worldwide Disasters, Epidemics and Pandemics Associated Mortality of 210 Countries for 15 Years (2001–2015). International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. 2022;76:103001.
- Brennenstuhl H., Garbade S., Ries M. et. al. Patterns of Extreme Temperature-Related Catastrophic Events in Europe Including the Russian Federation: a Cross-Sectional Analysis of the Emergency Events Database. BMJ Open. 2021;11;6:e046359. DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-046359.
- Deduchenko F.M. Project of Counteracting Catastrophic Developments at Nature-Man-Made Objects in Russia. Nadezhnost i Bezopasnost Energetiki =Safety and Reliability of Power Industry. 2021;14;3:111–117. DOI: 10.24223/1999-5555-2021-14-3-111-117 (In Russ.).
- Vostrikova A.A., Morozova O.A. Global Integration Processes in the Field of Statistical Accounting of Disasters and Natural Hazards. Tekhnologii Grazhdanskoy Bezopasnosti = Civil SecurityTechnology. 2021;18;S:185–192. DOI: 10.54234/CST.19968493.2021.18.S.25.185 (In Russ.).
- Vostrikova A.A., Morozova O.A. EM-DAT International Database Improvement for the Correct Statistical Accounting of Disasters and Natural Disasters on the Example of the Russian Federation. Tekhnologii Grazhdanskoy Bezopasnosti = Civil SecurityTechnology. 2022;19;1:87–94. DOI: 10.54234/CST.19968493.2022.19.1.71.18.87 (In Russ.).
- Afanasyev V.N., Yuzbashev M.M. Analiz Vremennykh Ryadov i Prognozirovaniye = Time Series Analysis and Forecasting. Moscow Publ., 2001. 320 p. (In Russ.).
The material was received 07.12.22; the article after peer review procedure 24.01.23; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 23.03.23