DISASTER MEDICINE No. 2•2022
Health Damage Assessment in Victims of Non-Lethal Kinetic Weapons
Bykov V.P. 1, Barachevskiy Yu.E. 1, Maslyakov V.V. 2, Mordovskiy E.A. 1, Pavlov K.O. 3, Yasheva S.Yu. 1
Download the article in pdf format
1 Northern State Medical University, Arkhangelsk, Russian Federation
2 Arkhangelsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Arkhangelsk, Russian Federation
3 Mari State University, Yoshkar-Ola, Russian Federation
Abstract. The aim of the study was to assess the severity of health damage in victims of self-defense non-lethal kinetic weapons.
Materials and research methods. The medical records (form 003/u) of 67 victims of NKO who received medical care in the Arkhangelsk Regional Clinical Hospital in 2009-2019 were studied.
The degree of health damage severity was assessed according to the method approved by the order of the Russian Ministry of Health and Social Development of April 24, 2008 № 194n. For multiple and combined injuries the degree of severity of the injury was determined according to the criterion which corresponded to a higher degree of severity.
Quantitative (mean values) and categorical (extensive values) variables were used for statistical analysis. Boundaries of their 95% confidence intervals (CI) were calculated using the WinPepi program.
Results of the study and their analysis. Analysis of the study results showed:
– The damage to health of severe and moderate severity was detected in 34.3% of the victims with predominant wounds to head, neck, chest, and abdomen;
– In chest wounds, including those without penetrating wound channel, CT scanning is indicated from one to three days to diagnose lung contusion, which is not reliably visualized on an overview radiograph;
– In nonpenetrating abdominal wounds, damage to internal organs due to hydrodynamic shock is not excluded. In this case it is necessary to hospitalize victims for one or three days for clinical observation and ultrasound control. In doubtful cases diagnostic videolaparoscopy should be performed.
Keywords: damage to health, non-lethal kinetic weapons, victims
For citation: Bykov V.P., Barachevskiy Yu.E., Maslyakov V.V., Mordovskiy E.A., Pavlov K.O., Yasheva S.Yu. Health Damage Assessment in Victims of Non-Lethal Kinetic Weapons. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2022;2:57-61 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2022-2-57-61
- Raneniya Neletal’nym Kineticheskim Oruzhiem = Wounds by Non-Lethal Kinetic Weapons: A Guide for Doctors. Eds. Parfenov V.E., Samokhvalov I.M. St. Petersburg, ELBI — SPb Publ., 2014. 224 p. ISBN 978-5-91322-049-3 (In Russ.).
- Abakumov M.M., Tsamalaidze L.N., Voskresenskiy O.V., Dzhagrayev K.R. Traumatic Gunshot Wounds of Neck, Thorax and Abdomen. Hirurgiya. Zhurnal im. N.I. Pirogova = Pirogov Journal of Surgery. 2010;11:22-26 (In Russ.).
- Samokhvalov I.M., Markevich V.Yu. Raneniya neletal’nym kineticheskim oruzhiem = Chest Wounds by Non-Lethal Kinetic Weapons. Wounds by Non-Lethal Kinetic Weapons. A Guide for Doctors. Ed. Parfenov V.E., Samokhvalov I.M. St. Petersburg, ELBI — SPb Publ., 2013. P. 174-190 (In Russ.).
- On the Approval of the Forensic Requirements of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation to the Technical Characteristics of Civilian and Service Weapons, as Well as Cartridges for it. Order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation of 20.09.2011, No. 1020. Registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation on October 13, 2011, Registration Number 22048 (In Russ.).
- Badalov V.I., Zhumanazarov L.B., Ozeretskovskiy L.B., Grebnev D.G., Golovko K.P., Samokhvalov I.M. Features of Peaceful Time Modern Gunshot Wounds in the Big City. Skoraya Medicinskaya Pomoshch’ = Emergency Medical Care. 2016;2:49-56 (In Russ.).
- Gumanenko E.K., Lazarev S.M., Artyukhov S.V., Malyar A.V., Chernysh A.V., Sorokin L.A., Noskov A.A. Features of the Heart Wound by Non-Lethal Kinetic Weapons. Vestnik Khirurgii Im. I.I. Grekova = Grekov’s Bulletin of Surgery. 2015;174;1:65-66 (In Russ.).
- Shappo V.V. Biomedical Features of Injuries from Non-Lethal Kinetic Weapons. Vestnik Psikhoterapii. 2007;22:22-32 (In Russ.).
- Belevitin A.B., Parfenov V.E., Samokhvalov I.M., Ozeretskovskiy L.B., Golovko K.P., Grebnev D.G., Denisov A.V. Wound Ballistics, Criteria and Structure of Damage from Non-Lethal Kinetic Weapons. Vestnik Rossiyskoy Voenno-meditsinskoy Akademii = Bulletin of the Russian Military Medical Academy. 2011;1:135-147 (In Russ.).
- Trukhan A.P., Samokhvalov I.M., Isakov V.D., Suprun T.Yu., Yakovenko O.O., Kuraev P.I. Comparative Analysis of the Incoming Patients with Gunshot Wounds of Peace and Military Time. Vestnik Nacional’nogo Mediko-Khirurgicheskogo Tsentra im. N.I. Pirogova = Bulletin of Pirogov National Medical & Surgical Center. 2020;15;2:98-102 (In Russ.).
- Medical Criteria for Determining the Severity of Harm Caused to Human Health. Appendix to the Order of the Ministry of Health and Social Development of the Russian Federation dated April 24, 2008, No. 194n. (In Russ.).
- Leonov S.V., Mikhailenko A.V., Slautinskaya A.V. Specificity of the Mechanism of Formation of Bruises in Trauma by Elastic Projectiles of Cartridges of Traumatic Weapons. Sudebno-Meditsinskaya Ekspertisa = Forensic Medical Examination. 2012;1:16-17 (In Russ.).
The material was received 16.07.21; the article after peer review procedure 08.02.22; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 23.06.22