DISASTER MEDICINE No. 1•2022
Biomechanical Comparison of Ceramic, Titanium and Chrome Cobalt Post Inlays in Post-Traumatic Dental Defects Repair
Olesova V.N.1, Ivanov A.S.2, Olesov E.E.1, Romanov A.S.1, Zaslavskiy R.S.1
1 State Research Center – Burnasyan Federal Medical Biophysical Center of Federal Medical Biological Agency, Moscow, Russian Federation
2 Rostov State Medical University Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Rostov-na-Donu, Russian Federation
Abstract. The aim of the study is the biomechanical substantiation of restoration of tooth crowns destroyed due to trauma using ceramic post inlays.
Materials and research methods. In order to experimentally compare the strength of pin inlays, tooth root and ceramic crown depending on the material of the inlays, three-dimensional mathematical modeling of the stress-strain state of the pin structure using the method of finite element analysis was carried out. The physical and mechanical properties and size of a single-rooted tooth with a fractured crown (upper central incisor), a ceramic crown and a peg inlay made of a chrome-cobalt alloy, titanium or ceramics corresponded to the natural ones. Calculations were performed using the properties of both the devital and the intact tooth. Situations of early operation of the post construction with close contact of the root, inlay, and crown, as well as possible decay of tooth tissues along the edge of the crown in the long-term operation of the construction were simulated. A functional load of 150N was applied to two areas: the incisal edge and the upper third of the palatal surface of the crown on post inlays with a change in load direction from 0 to 90°.
Research results and their analysis. According to the data of mathematical modeling of functional load, the strength of a post-traumatic tooth defect replacement is sufficient when using both metal and ceramic post inlays; changes in physical and mechanical properties of the tooth with increasing time from the moment of devitalization increase stress in the ceramic crown, and root failure along the edge of the crown causes the ultimate stress at a horizontal shift of load direction.
The biomechanical rationale allows: in case of complete destruction of the crown part of the tooth — to recommend milled dowel ceramic inlays as a support of metal-free artificial crowns; to stick to the technology of their fixation in the root canal and of the fixation of crowns to the inlays; to ensure a strict dispensary of patients with a ceramic crown on milled dowel ceramic inlay to detect and to eliminate tooth root caries in the long term; to provide direction of functional load within 30° from the axis of the restored tooth during prosthetics.
Keywords: ceramics, chrome-cobalt, mathematical modeling, post inlays, post-traumatic tooth defects, stress-strain state
For citation: Olesova V.N., Ivanov A.S., Olesov E.E., Romanov A.S., Zaslavskiy R.S. Biomechanical Comparison of Ceramic, Titanium and Chrome Cobalt Post Inlays in Post-Traumatic Dental Defects Repair. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2022;1:53–58 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2022-1-53-58
- Manatina V.I. Clinical Substantiation of Indications for the Use of Endocrowns. Sovremennaya Stomatologiya = Modern Dentistry. 2019;2:69-74 (In Russ.).
- Razakov D.Kh., Arutyunov E.I. Comparative Characteristics of the Use of Zirconium, Metal and Combined Pin Stump Inlays in the Treatment of the Anterior Group of the Teeth of the Upper Jaw. Byulleten Meditsinskikh Internet-Konferentsiy = Bulletin of Medical Internet Conferences. 2019;7:305 (In Russ.).
- Fisyunov A.D., Rubnikovich S.P. The Use of a Composite-Reinforced Stump Pin Inlay for Prosthetics of a Complete Defect in the Coronal Part of the Tooth. Stomatologiya. Estetika. Innovatsii = Dentistry. Aesthetics. Innovation. 2019;3:292-302 (In Russ.).
- Bersanov R.U. Funktsionalnaya i Ekonomicheskaya Effektivnost Sovremennykh Metodov Ortopedicheskoy Reabilitatsii Bolnykh s Chastichnoy i Polnoy Adentiey = Functional and Economic Efficiency of Modern Methods of Orthopedic Rehabilitation of Patients with Partial and Complete Adentia. Extended abstract of Doctor’s thesis in Medicine. Moscow Publ., 2016. 48 p. (In Russ.).
- Klemin V.A., Kubarenko V.V. Artificial Tooth Crown Stump: Components, Classification, Design Options. Sovremennaya Ortopedicheskaya Stomatologiya = Modern Orthopedic Dentistry. 2016;26:39-42 (In Russ.).
- Soares P.V. Replacing a Cast Post with a Glass Fiber Post Using an Adhesive Retention Technique. Kafedra. Stomatologicheskoe Obrazovanie = Cathedra-Chair. Dental Education. 2015;52:8-10 (In Russ.).
- Ertesyan A.R. Sovershenstvovanie Ortopedicheskogo Lecheniya Bolnykh s Nizkimi i Razrushennymi Klinicheskimi Koronkami Opornykh Zubov = Improvement of Orthopedic Treatment of Patients with Low and Destroyed Clinical Crowns of Abutment Teeth. Candidate’s thesis in Medicine. Samara Publ., 2017, 132 p. (In Russ.).
- Grishkova N.O. Eksperimentalno-Klinicheskoe i Ekonomicheskoe Sravnenie Tekhnologiy Izgotovleniya Iskusstvennykh Zubnykh Koronok = Experimental-Clinical and Economic Comparison of Technologies for the Manufacture of Artificial Dental Crowns. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis in Medicine. 2017. 24 p. (In Russ.).
- Iskenderov R.M. Accounting for Materials to Manage the Cost of Manufacturing One Orthopedic Unit of Production Using CAD-CAM Technologies in Dentistry. Sovremennye Problemy Nauki i Obrazovaniya = Modern Problems of Science and Education. 2016;2:33 (In Russ.).
- Retinskaya MV, Goryainova KE, Rusanov F.S., Lebedenko I.Yu. Scientific Basis for the Choice of Material for CEREC Crowns. Stomatologiya = Dentistry. 2016;6:110-111 (In Russ.).
- Kelly J.R. Ceramics in Dentistry: Principles and Practice. Quintessence Publishing Co., Inc. 2016. 128 p.
- Verma M., Meena N. Dental Ceramics Material and Applications. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing. 2016. 224 p.
- Oganyan A.I., Tsalikova N.A., Salamov M.Ya., Grishkina M.G. The Use of Zirconium Dioxide Post Stump Structures for Restoration of the Crown Parts of Teeth in Various Parts of the Dentition. Rossiyskaya Stomatologiya = Russian Dentistry. 2016;1:24-25 (In Russ.).
- Dubrov V.E., Zyuzin D.A., Kuzkin I.A., Shcherbakov I.M., Donchenko S.V., Saprykina K.A. Application of the Finite Element Method in Modeling Biological Systems in Traumatology and Orthopedics. Rossiyskiy Zhurnal Biomekhaniki = Russian Journal of Biomechanics. 2019;1:140-152 (In Russ.).
- Manatina V.I. Comparative Analysis of the Stress-Strain States of the Structures of the Pulped Tooth and Orthopedic Structures in the Elimination of Defects in the Coronal Part. Stomatologicheskiy Zhurnal = Dental Journal. 2019;1:47-53 (In Russ.).
The material was received 01.03.21; the article after peer review procedure 08.02.22; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 21.03.22