DISASTER MEDICINE No. 2•2021
Organizational Aspects of Providing Emergency Care to Victims in Road Transportation Accidents with Damage to the Facial Skeleton
Maslyakov V.V.1, Barachevsky Yu.E.2, Pavlova O.N.3, Pimenov A.V.4, Proshin A.G.4, Polyakov A.V.4, Pimenova A.A.4
1 Mariyskiy State University, Iyoshkar-Ola, Russian Federation
2 Northern State Medical University, the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Arkhangelsk, Russian Federation
3 Samara State Transport University, Samara, Russian Federation
4 Saratov Medical University “Reaviz”, Saratov, Russian Federation
Abstract. The aim of the study is to investigate the organizational aspects of providing emergency medical care to victims of road traffic accidents with injuries of the facial skeleton.
Materials and research methods. The study included 75 victims of road accidents that occurred in the city of Saratov in 2010–2019. In the total number of injured men – 42 (56.0%), women – 33 (44.0%). The age of the victims is 18–70 years, the average age is (37.5 ± 6.0) years. The study did not include: victims under the age of 18; victims with neck trauma, damage to the cerebral section of the skull and to other parts of the body. All the victims got medical assistance from the personnel of the ambulance brigades. Covering sheets, outpatient cards and medical records were used as primary documentation.
Study criteria: time during which the ambulance was provided; who provided emergency medical care; correctness of its rendering.
Research results and their analysis. Analysis of injuries to the facial skeleton showed:
- injuries of the facial skeleton are an actual pathology in victims of road traffic accidents in Saratov;
- victims of road accidents got open and closed injuries of the facial skeleton. With closed injuries, moderate and severe injuries were found in 23 (30.7%) victims, with open injuries — in 19 (23.3%) victims;
- majority (90.7%) of victims of road accidents got high-quality emergency medical aid in a timely manner. In 9.3% of cases, the quality of care was insufficient due to an incorrect assessment of severity of the victims’ condition and, as a consequence, due to non-fulfillment of anti-shock measures;
- scope of the provision of emergency medical care to victims of road accidents included temporary hemostasis, treatment of wounds and anti-shock measures;
- from the accident site were evacuated: to level III trauma centers — 24.0% of victims; to level II — 48.0; to level I trauma centers — 28.0% of victims;
- complications in the form of purulent-septic processes were observed in 16.0% of victims;
- competent and timely implementation of anti-shock measures determined an insignificant mortality rate — 4.0%.
Key words: ambulance teams, injured, injuries of the facial skeleton, organizational aspects, road traffic accidents
For citation: Maslyakov V.V., Barachevsky Yu.E., Pavlova O.N., Pimenov A.V., Proshin A.G., Polyakov A.V., Pimenova A.A. Organizational Aspects of Providing Emergency Care to Victims in Road Transportation Accidents with Damage to the Facial Skeleton. Meditsina katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2021;2:65-67 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2021-2-65-67
- P’yankova A.I., Fattahov T.A. Road Traffic Fatalities in Russia: Approaches to Assessment, Trends and Prospects. Demographic Review. 2019;6:58-84 (In Russ.).
- Lastoveckiy A.G., Lebedev M.V., Aver’yanova D.A., Ayvazyan A.G. Organization of Medical Care for Victims of Road Accidents with Maxillofacial Injury. Bulletin of New Medical Technologies. Electronic Edition. 2017;2:275-284 (In Russ.). DOI: 10.12737/article_59156294138399.26231860.
- Lastoveckiy A.G., Lebedev M.V., Aver’yanova D.A. The Frequency and Structure of Traumatic Injuries of the Brain and Facial Departments of the Skull in Victims of Traffic Accidents. News of Higher Educational Institutions. Volga Region. Medical Sciences. 2014;31:105-116 (In Russ.).
- Rahmanov A.T., Yuldashev I.M., Lesogorov S.F., Cepeleva A.S., Kulnazarov A.S. Prevalence of Injuries of the Middle Zone of the Person. Bulletin of the Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University. 2018;18:75-77 (In Russ.).
- Yaroshhik T.M., Vecherskaya A.A. Modern Treatment of Traumatic Fractures of the Middle Zone of the Face. Dentistry. Esthetics. Innovations. 2019;3:364-367 (In Russ.).
- Lebedev M.V., Olennikova M.M., Bakhturina Yu.A., Bakhturin N.A. Frequency and Structure of Visual Damage in Combined Injuries in Traffic Accidents. Bulletin of the Russian Military Medical Academy. 2015;50:92-95 (In Russ.).
- Chzhan Sh., Petruk P.S., Medvedev Yu.A. Fractures of the Lower Jaw in the Area of the Body and Angle: Structure, Epidemiology, Principles of Diagnosis. Part I. Russian Dental Journal. 2017;21:100-103 (In Russ.).
- Styazhkina S.N., Tatarkina E.D., Matveev A.V., Vorob’eva T.V. Dependence of Traumatic Shock Development on Structure and Prevalence of Traumatic Brain Injury. Forum of Young Scientists. 2018;5-3:331-336 (In Russ.).
- Popov A.V., Kaymakova U.M., Steckiy N.P. High Mortality in Road Traffic Accidents in the Russian Federation: Possible Causes and Ways to Reduce. World of Transport. 2019;17:192-205 (In Russ.).
- Popov A.V., Kaymakova U.M., Steckiy N.P., Rebro I.V., Mustafina D.A. Lack of First Aid Skills as a Factor of High Mortality in Road Traffic Accidents in the Russian Federation. Population Health and Habitat. 2020;4:43-47 (In Russ.).
- Marchenko D.V. Problems of Providing First Aid to Victims of Traffic Accidents: Modern Aspect. Bulletin of the East Siberian Institute of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia. 2009;50:113-118 (In Russ.).
- Maslyakov V.V., Gorbelik V.R., Pimenov A.V., Polyakov A.V., Pimenova A.A. Analysis of the Main Errors in Providing First Aid to Victims of Road Accidents and Possible Ways to Reduce their Number. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster medicine. 2020;2:62-66 (In Russ.).
- Nassar A.N.I., Idris M.I., Maday D.Yu., Absava K.A. Objective Assessment of Injury Severity – Reserve of Favorable Outcome of Victims with Combined Craniofacial Injury. Dentistry for all. 2020;1:16-23 (In Russ.).
- Antonov G.I., Manukovskiy V.A., Miklashevich Ye.R., Ivanov I.I., Shumakov I.I., Movsisyan A.B. Neurosurgical Aspects of Providing Specialized Medical Care for Road Traffic Accidents. Hospital Medicine: Science and Practice. 2019;1:53-57 (In Russ.).
- Krasil’nikov V.I. Experience in Emergency Medical Care for Road Traffic Accidents. Bulletin of the Scientific Center for Life Safety. 2015;4:109-115 (In Russ.).
The material was received 10.02.21; the article after peer review procedure 12.04.21; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 15.06.21