DISASTER MEDICINE No.1 •2023
The Role of the Federal State Budget Organization “SSC – Federal Medical and Biophysical Center named after A.I. Burnazyan” of Federal Medical and Biological Agency of Russia in the Provision of Sanitary-Epidemiological Welfare and Radiation Safety in Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation
Shandala N.K. 1, Starinskiy V.G. 1, Semenova M.P. 1, Filonova A.A. 1, Salenko Yu.A. 1, Starinskaya R.A. 1, Isaev D.V., Seregin V.A. 1, Gushchina Yu.V. 1, Shitova A.A. 1
1 State Research Center – Burnasyan Federal Medical Biophysical Center of Federal Medical Biological Agency, Moscow, Russian Federation
Summary. The experience of work of FSO “SSC – Federal Medical and Biophysical Center named after A.I. Burnazyan” of FMBA of Russia to provision of radiation-hygienic measures in the support of works to elimination of nuclear researching objects in Arctic zone of the Russian Federation and to provision of radiation safety of people who live near these objects was presented.
As a result of provision of radiation-hygienic measures the following tasks were solved:
– to define the priority directions for regulation in the radiation safety the radiological threats were assessed;
– a detailed analysis of radiological situation in the temporary storage points (TSP) of its spent nuclear fuel (ISNF) and nuclear waste (NW), on their yards and in the monitoring zones and in the areas of people living was done;
– the measures for providing of radiation safety of stuff and people who live near radiation dangerous objects (RDO) were kept;
– a culture of safety during a monitoring and control of risks of stuff professional reliability violation was ensured.
– an expertise of the projects of documents about a rehabilitation of polluted areas was completed;
Key words: Arctic zone of the Russian Federation, emergency response, Federal Medical State Budget Organization “SSC – Federal Medical and Biophysical Center named after A.I. Burnazyan” of FMBA of Russia, its spent nuclear fuel, radiation monitoring, radioactive waste, radiation safety, radiation-hygienic measures, sanitary-epidemiologic welfare
Conflict of interest. The authors declare no conflict of interest
For citation: Shandala N.K., Starinskiy V.G., Semenova M.P., Filonova A.A., Salenko Yu.A., Starinskaya R.A., Isaev D.V., Seregin V.A., Gushchina Yu.V., Shitova A.A. The Role of the Federal State Budget Organization “SSC – Federal Medical and Biophysical Center named after A.I. Burnazyan” of Federal Medical and Biological Agency of Russia in the Provision of Sanitary-Epidemiological Welfare and Radiation Safety in Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2023;1:5-8 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2023-1-5-8
- Grigoriev A.V. Strategy and Plans for SNF and RW Management in the North-West region of Russia [Electronic resource]: presentation / Anniversary international scientific and practical conference SRC – FMBC: 75 years on guard of people’s health. M., 2021. 20 slides (In Russ.).
- Salenko Yu.A., Grachev M.I., Frolov G.P., Bogdanova L.S., Tesnov I.K. Experience in conducting emergency exercises and trainings with the participation of an emergency medical radiation dosimetry center // Occupational Medicine and Industrial Ecology, 2017;4:28-32 (In Russ.).
- Sarkisov A.A., Sivintsev Yu.V., Vysotsky V.L., Nikitin V.S. Nuclear legacy of the Cold War at the bottom of the Arctic. M., 2015 (In Russ.).
- Shandala N.K., Isaev D.V., Titov A.V., Shlygin V.V., Belskikh Yu.S., Starinskiy V.G., Starinskaya R.A., Zueva M.V. Assessment of the radiation situation in the area of location of ship repair enterprises that dismantle ships with a nuclear power plant. Medical Radiology and Radiation Safety. 2019;64;5:9-14 (In Russ.).
The material was received 25.11.22; the article after peer review procedure 29.11.22; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 23.03.23