DISASTER MEDICINE No.4 •2022
Peculiarities of Modern Local Wars and Armed Conflicts and Problems of Medical Care in Prehospital Period
Pisarenko L.V.1, Gumenyuk S.A.1, Potapov V.I.1
Download the article in pdf format
1 Moscow Territorial Scientific and Practical Center for Disaster Medicine (TSEMP) of the Moscow City Health Department, Moscow, Russian Federation
Summary. The aim of the study is to investigate the peculiarities of modern local wars and armed conflicts, their influence on the structure of sanitary and non-return losses among population on the basis of scientific publications analysis. It also aims to define the principal problems of organization and rendering medical aid to wounded, sick and injured under these conditions and to outline the possible ways of their solution.
Materials and research methods
Materials of research — domestic and foreign publications, which analyze modern local wars and armed conflicts and assess their striking effect on vital functions and vitality of population.
Method of research — review-analytical.
Results of the study and their analysis. The features of modern local wars and armed conflicts, their impact on the structure of combat and non-combat losses among the population are highlighted. The inefficiency of the present system of medical and evacuation measures for urgent and emergency medical indications in the prehospital period was presented, especially in the conditions of combat operations. There were defined both advantages and problems of wide and effective application of capabilities, forces and means of the Disaster Medicine Service and ambulance service for rendering first and medical (emergency and urgent) aid to the population in regions of military actions and in extreme situations. A variant has been suggested to combine forces and means of medical service of civil defense, ambulance and emergency medical service into a united universal branch system called “operative-tactical medicine” aimed at optimization and increase of effectiveness of medical aid rendering to population in prehospital period both in conditions of everyday activity and in extreme conditions of modern local wars, armed conflicts and other emergency situations.
Keywords: ambulance service, armed conflicts, Disaster Medicine Service, emergencies, emergency medical aid, first aid, local wars, medical service of civil defense, military field medicine, population, prehospital period, tactical medicine
For citation: Pisarenko L.V., Gumenyuk S.A., Potapov V.I. Peculiarities of Modern Local Wars and Armed Conflicts and Problems of Medical Care in Prehospital Period. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2022;4:68-72 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2022-4-68-72
- Yusupov A.K., Lubyanoy V.I. Essence and Classification of Wars and Military Conflicts: the Content and Analysis of the Problem in Modern Conditions. URL: https://scienceforum.ru/2019/article/2018014030. (In Russ.).
- Pilyugin P.V., Gorbachev A.N. Grodno The Military Brotherhood of the Slavs in the Defense of Peace. Sbornik Nauchnykh Statey GrGU Im. Ya. Kupaly = Collection of Scientific Articles GrGU Im. I. Kupala. Grodno Publ., 2014. 341 p. URL: https://uctopuk.info/blog/analiz-opyta-boevykh-deistvii-voisk-v-sovremennykh. (In Russ.).
- Pirogov N.I. Nachala Obshchey Voyenno-Polevoy Khirurgii, Vzyatyya Iz Nablyudeniy Voyenno-Gospitalnoy Praktiki i Vospominaniy o Krymskoy t. ye. Krymskoy Voyne i Kavkazskoy Ekspeditsii = Beginnings of General Military Field Surgery, Taken from Observations of Military Hospital Practice and Memories of the Crimean War, i.e. the Crimean War and the Caucasian Expedition. Dresden. 1865-1866. V. 1-2. 1058 p. URL: https://viewer.rusneb.ru/ru/000199_000009_004822636?page=5&rotate=0&theme=white. (In Russ.).
- Krivosheyev G.F., et al. Rossiya i SSSR v Voynakh XX Veka: Poteri Vooruzhennykh Sil = Russia and the USSR in the Wars of the XX Century. Losses of the Armed Forces: A Statistical Study // Ed. Krivosheev G.F. Moscow Publ., 2001. 608 p. (In Russ.).
- Independent:What Has Really Been Achieved as a Result of the War in Afghanistan? CentralAsia. URL: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/ War_ in_ Afghanistan (2001-2021).
- Yevich Yu.Yu. Donetsk Peoples Rep. Takticheskaya Meditsina Sovremennoy Irregulyarnoy Voyny = Tactical Medicine of Modern Irregular War. 2016. 111 p. (In Russ.).
- Blagodir Y.H., Barykinsky N.A. Tactical medicine as the main tool for emergency medical care. StudNet. 2022;2:1047-1054 (In Russ.).
- Smirnov A.A. Takticheskaya Meditsina = Tactical Medicine. Pskov, Sterkh Publ., 2020. 64 p. (In Russ.).
- TCCC Guidelines and Curriculum. Nat. Association of Emergency Medical Technicians. 2011. URL:https://translated.turbopages.org/proxy_u/en-ru.ru.54d9773e-62bc088e-23716d36-74722d776562/https/web.archive.org/web/20140417170808/http:/www.naemt.org/education /TCCC/guidelines_curriculum.aspx. (In Russ.).
- Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC). North American Rescue. LLC. 2010. URL: https://translated.turbopages.org/proxy_u/en-ru.ru.54d9773e-62bc088e23716d3674722d776562/https/web.archive.org/web/20160131140433/http:/www.narescue.com/Tactical_Combat_Casualty_CCare_%28TC %29-CN1CBE802C690C.html.
- Holcomb J.B., McMullin N.R., Pearse L., et al. Causes of Death in U.S. Special Operations Forces in the Global War on Terrorism: 2001-2004. Ann. Surg. 2007;245;6:986-991. URL: 10.1097/01.sla.0000259433.03754.98.
- Point of Assistance in Case of Injury. Upgrading the Skills of a Combat Medic (CMAST). Presentation: “Point of Wounding Care”. 2016.
- Mazurenko O.V., Roshchin G.G., Voloshin V.A. Tactical Medicine as the Main Element of Emergency Medical Care During Anti-Terrorist Operations. Emergency Medicine. Kyiv. 2014;8:96-98 (In Russ.).
The material was received 12.08.22; the article after peer review procedure 30.11.22; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 23.12.22