DISASTER MEDICINE No.4 •2022
Problematic Issues in Organization and Conduct of Air Ambulance Evacuation of Patients and Victims in Emergency Situations
Isaeva I.V.1, Baranova N.N.2,3
Download the article in pdf format
1 The National Medical Surgical Center named after N.I. Pirogov, Moscow, Russian Federation
2 State Research Center – Burnasyan Federal Medical Biophysical Center of Federal Medical Biological Agency, Moscow, Russian Federation
3 Russian Medical Academy of Continuous Professional Education, the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Moscow, Russian Federation
Summary. The aim of the study is to investogate the current state of organization and of sanitary aviation evacuation of patients and victims in emergency situations at regional level.
Materials and research methods. The study was conducted in 2022 in the Federal Center for Disaster Medicine of the National Medical and Surgical Center named after N.I. Pirogov of the Ministry of Health of Russia. Materials of the study — publications in scientific journals; questionnaire data on the factors affecting the conduct of air ambulance evacuation using helicopters in the regions of the Russian Federation.
Research methods — literary-analytical method and method of expert evaluations.
Literary and analytical method was used to study problems and opportunities for the use of air transport for medical purposes in the Russian Federation and abroad.
The method of expert evaluations was based on opinions and experience of specialists in evaluating factors affecting organization of air ambulance evacuation in the regions and of the need for its implementation.
The object of the study is the system of organization and conduct of the sanitary aviation evacuation of patients and victims in emergencies in the regions of the Russian Federation.
Study results and their analysis. Domestic and foreign experience of medical care to the patients and victims in emergencies using air ambulance evacuation is presented.
The basic problematic questions of organization and execution of sanitary aviation evacuation of patients and victims in extreme situations have been analyzed.
Keywords: air ambulance, air ambulance evacuation, emergencies, emergency medical care, patients, regions of the Russian Federation, victims
For citation: Isayeva I.V., Baranova N.N. Problematic Issues in Organization and Conduct of Air Ambulance Evacuation of Patients and Victims in Emergency Situations. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2022;4:58-63 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2022-4-58-63
- Yakirevich I.A., Aleksanin S.S. Experience of Medical Evacuation of Injured in Emergencies Using Aircrafts of Russian EMERCOM. Mediko-Biologicheskiye i Sotsialno-Psikhologicheskiye Problemy Bezopasnosti v Chrezvychaynykh Situatsiyakh = Medicо-Biological and Socio-Psychological Problems of Safety in Emergency Situations. 2014;2:5-12 (In Russ.).
- Yakirevich I.A. Organizatsionno-Metodicheskoye Obespecheniye Sanitarno-Aviatsionnoy Evakuatsii Postradavshikh v Chrezvychaynykh Situatsiyakh Aviatsionno-Spasatelnymi Formirovaniyami MCHS Rossii = Organizational and Methodological Support of Sanitary and Aviation Evacuation of Victims in Emergency Situations by Aviation Rescue Units of the Russian Emergencies Ministry. Extended Abstract of Candidate’s Thesis in Medicine. St. Petersburg Publ., 2014. 22 p. (In Russ.).
- Yakirevich I.A., Popov A.S., Rybnikov V.Yu. Carrying out Mass and Single Aeromedical Evacuations with the Use of Medical Modules by the Aviation of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia. Mnogoprofilnaya Klinika XXI Veka. Vysokotekhnologichnaya Meditsinskaya Pomoshch = Multidisciplinary Clinic of the XXI Century. High-Tech Medical Care. Mater. Intl. Scientific-practical. Conf., St. Petersburg, April 17-18. 2014. Ed. Alexandrov S.S. St. Petersburg, 2014. P. 265-272 (In Russ.).
- Nechayev E.A. Experience of Medical Support of the Soviet Troops in Afghanistan and Issues of Further Development of Military Medicine. Voyenno-Meditsinskiy Zhurnal = Russian Military Medical Journal. 1992;4-5:5-14 (In Russ.).
- Chizh I.M., Makarov N.I. Experience of Medical Support of Local Wars and Problems of Evacuation of the Wounded and Sick by Air. Voyenno-Meditsinskiy Zhurnal = Russian Military Medical Journal. 1993;1:21-24 (In Russ.).
- Chernyakov I.N., Shereshkov G.M. Clinical and Physiological Aspects of the Evacuation of the Wounded and Sick By Air Transport. Voyenno-Meditsinskiy Zhurnal = Russian Military Medical Journal. 1977;9:59-62 (In Russ.).
- Bryusov P.G., Nikolayev N.M., Nizovoy A.V., et al. Staged Treatment and Medical Transport Evacuation of the Wounded. Opyt Sovetskoy Meditsiny v Afganistane = The Experience of Soviet Medicine in Afghanistan. Tez. Report Vsearm. Scientific Conf. Moscow Publ., 1992. P. 15–16 (In Russ.).
- Yamenskov V.V., et al. Experience of Medical Support of Search and Rescue Operations of the Air Force in Afghanistan. Aktualnyye Voprosy Meditsinskogo Obespecheniya Voyenno-Vozdushnykh Sil = Topical Issues of Medical Support of the Air Force. Sat. Abstract XXXX Scientific-Practical. Conf. Doctors of the 5th Central Military Commissariat of the Air Force. Moscow Publ., 2009. P. 122-124 (In Russ.).
- Orlov V.P. Providing Medical Care to the Wounded with Craniocerebral Injuries at the Stages of Medical Evacuation in Mountainous Desert Areas. Voyenno-Meditsinskiy Zhurnal = Russian Military Medical Journal. 2015;1:36-40 (In Russ.).
- Kochetkov A.V., Shapovalov S.G., Rogalev K.K. Organization of Sanitary-Aviation Evacuation of Severely Burnt Patients in Emergency Situations. Razvitiye Vseros. Sluzhby Meditsiny Katastrof na Sovremennom Etape = Development of the All-Russian Services of Disaster Medicine at the Present Stage: Mater. Vseros. Conf. with International Participation, Moscow, 26 Nov. 2013. Moscow, VTSMK Zashchita Publ., 2013. P. 80-81 (In Russ.).
- Popov A.S., Yakirevich I.A., Yershov A.L. Mass Evacuation of Victims with Burn Disease and Thermal Inhalation Injury on Aircraft of the Russian Emergencies Ministry Using Medical Modules. Sanitarnaya Aviatsiya Rossii i Meditsinskaya Evakuatsiya = Russian Air Ambulance and Medical Evacuation. Mater. II Interved. Scientific-Practical. Conf., Moscow, May 16-17, 2013. Tver Publ., 2013. P. 54-55 (In Russ.).
- Sazonova Yu.A. Some Features of the Elimination of the Medical and Sanitary Consequences of a Fire in the Club “Lame Horse” (Perm, 2009). Gigiyena: Zdorovye i Profilaktika. Sb. Mater. I Vseros. Studencheskoy nauch.-prakt. Konf., Posvyashch. 95-Letiyu Sam. Gmu = Hygiene: Health and Prevention. Sat. Mater. I All-Russian Student Scientific-Practical. Conf., Dedicated 95th Anniversary of Sam. GMU. Ed. Kotelnikov G.P. Samara Publ., 2014. P. 108-109 (In Russ.).
- Shapovalov S.G., Yakirevich I.A. Organization of Transportation of Seriously Burned in Emergency Situations. Aktualnyye Psikhologo-Pedagogicheskiye i Mediko-Sotsialnyye Problemy Sotsiuma i Bezopasnosti Zhiznedeyatelnosti. Mater. Mezhdunar. Nauch.-Prakt. Konf., S-Peterburg, 5-7 Okt. 2011 g. = Actual Psycho-Pedagogical and Medical and Social Problems of Society and Life Safety: Mater. Intl. Scientific-Practical. Conf., St. Petersburg, 5-7 Oct. 2011. Ed. Grigoriev G.I. St. Petersburg Publ., 2011. P. 217-219 (In Russ.).
- Yakirevich I.A., Popov A.S., Rybnikov V.Yu. Burn Disease and Thermal Inhalation Injury. Mass Evacuation of Victims on Aircraft of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia with the Use of Medical Modules. Mnogoprofilnaya Klinika XXI Veka. Vysokotekhnologichnaya Meditsinskaya Pomoshch. Mater. Mezhdunar. Nauch.-Prakt. Konf., Sankt-Peterburg, 17-18 Apr. 2014 g. = Multidisciplinary Clinic of the XXI Century. High-Tech Medical Care. Mater. Intl. Scientific-Practical. Conf., St. Petersburg, April 17-18. 2014. Ed. Aleksandrov S.S. St. Petersburg Publ., 2014. P. 262-264 (In Russ.).
- Musayelyan L.A. The Reforms of the 90’s and Their Economic, Political and Legal Impacts. Vestnik Permskogo Universiteta. Yuridicheskiye Nauk = Perm University Herald. Juridical Science. 2018;39:36-52 (In Russ.).
- Garmash O.A. Emergency Consultative Medical Care in Russian Federation: History, Prospects. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2014;3:35-40 (In Russ.).
- Goncharov S.F., Garmash O.A., Vlasenko V.F. Specialized (Sanitary-Aviation) Ambulance Service: Condition and Perspectives of Development. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2008;1:5–10 (In Russ.).
- URL: https://helicopter-forum.ru/programma-meropriyatij/#1540889139108-46f5ba6e-ae9d (In Russ.).
- Shapkin Yu.G., Seliverstov P.A. Advantages and Disadvantages of Using Helicopters for Air Ambulance Evacuation of Trauma Victims (Literature Review). Mediko-Biologicheskiye i Sotsialno-Psikhologicheskiye Problemy Bezopasnosti v Chrezvychaynykh Situatsiyakh = Medicо-Biological and Socio-Psychological Problems of Safety in Emergency Situations. 2021;2 (In Russ.).
- URL: https://www.wiin-aviation.de/luftrettung-in-deutschland (In Russ.).
- URL: http://www.transfair.fr/casestudies/AE-roedig.pdf (In Russ.).
- URL: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki (In Russ.).
- Khaaze T., Shedler O., Devyatukha A. Features of Aeromedical Evacuation: the Experience of the Rescue Aviation Center Bad Saarov and the Helicopter Christoph 49 Sigmund Jahn. Materialy 18-go Vserosossiyskogo Kongressa, Posvyashchennogo 120-Letiyu Skoroy Meditsinskoy Pomoshchi v Rossii, Sankt-Peterburg, 30-31 Maya 2019 g. = Materials of the 18th All-Russian Congress Dedicated to the 120th Anniversary of Emergency Medical Care in Russia, St. Petersburg, May 30-31, 2019. Ed. Bagnenko S.F. St. Petersburg Publ., 2019. P. 149-150 (In Russ.).
- URL: http://www.sovstrat.ru/journals/medicina-celevye-proekty/articles/st-med16-1.html (In Russ.).
The material was received 06.09.22; the article after peer review procedure 29.11.22; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 23.12.22