DISASTER MEDICINE No. 3•2022
Improving The Organization of Medical Care for Victims of Road Accidents on the Federal Highway in a Low-Density Region of Russia
Baranov A.V.1,2, Mordovskiy E.A.2, Baranova I.A.1,2
Download the article in pdf format
1 Syktyvkar State University named after I.I. Pitirim Sorokin, Syktyvkar, Russian Federation
2 Northern State Medical University of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation, Arkhangelsk, Russian Federation
Summary. The aim of the study is to substantiate the necessity of a set of measures to improve medical care to the victims of road traffic accidents on federal highways in Russian regions with low population density on the basis of the developed system of medical care provision.
Materials and research methods. Using the method of organizational experiment, we carried out the scientific substantiation and development of measures the implementation of which will improve the efficiency of first aid and medical care to the victims of road accidents on the federal highways in the regions of the Russian Federation with low population density.
Materials of the study — a sample of 206 medical records of patients admitted for urgent indications after an accident on the federal highway M-8 “Kholmogory” to medical organizations of the Arkhangelsk region and who received medical care in hospital conditions (form 003/u) in the periods from January 1 to December 31, 2016 and from January 1 to December 31, 2018. Record forms were selected according to the criteria of retrospective continuous documentary observation — all medical histories of accident victims who received inpatient care during the study periods were selected.
Inclusion criteria for the study were:
- Gender — male and female.
- Victims of road accidents on the sections of the federal highway M-8 “Kholmogory” in the Arkhangelsk region who received in-patient treatment.
- Trauma was got in the specified periods.
Exclusion criteria for the study:
- Age — less than 18 years.
- No previous traffic accidents trauma.
Categorical variables were used for statistical analysis and presented as percentages. The Pearson Chi-square test was used to determine if there was a relationship between the categorical variables. Statistical processing of the data was performed using a package of applied statistical programs SPSS 22.
Study results and their analysis. Implementation of new approaches to the organization of medical care for victims of traffic accidents on the federal highway M-8 “Kholmogory” led to an increase by 2018 compared with 2016: of share of timely (up to 1 hour) delivery of ambulance crews to the place of the accident; of share of victims to whom specialists of ambulance crews performed anesthesia, transport immobilization, intravenous infusion of antishock drugs, as well as the creation of a regional competence center in the Level I trauma center and, consequently, an increase in the number of consultations for victims with polytrauma and in the number of medical evacuations of victims with polytrauma, performed to the Level I trauma center.
Keywords: ambulance crews, Arkhangelsk Regional Clinical Hospital — Level I trauma center, federal highways, M-8 “Kholmogory” federal highway, medical care, medical evacuation, polytrauma, regional center of competence, road accidents, Russian regions with low population density, time of arrival, victims
For citation: Baranov A.V., Mordovskiy E.A., Baranova I.A. Improving The Organization of Medical Care for Victims of Road Accidents on the Federal Highway in a Low-Density Region of Russia. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2022;3:60-64 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2022-3-60-64
- Baranov A.V. Mediko-Takticheskaya Kharakteristika Travm Taza u Postradavshikh v Dorozhno-Transportnykh i Drugikh Neshtatnykh Proisshestviyakh v Usloviyakh Oblastnogo Tsentra Yevropeyskogo Severa Rossii (na Primere g. Arkhangelska) = Medical and Tactical Characteristics of Pelvic Injuries in Victims of Traffic Accidents and other Contingencies in the Conditions of the Regional Center of the European North of Russia (for Example, Arkhangelsk). Extended Abstract of Candidate’s Thesis in Medicine. Arkhangelsk Publ., 2013. 24 p. (In Russ.).
- Baranov A.V., Klyuchevskiy V.V., Menshikova L.I., Baracheskiy Yu.Ye., Petchin I.V. Assessment of Medical Care at the Prehospital Stage in Victims with Polytrauma in Road Accidents in the Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation. Politravma = Polytrauma. 2018;2:1-16 (In Russ.).
- Matveyev R.P., Gudkov S.A., Bragina S.V. The Structure of Shock Trauma in Victims Admitted to the Trauma Center of the First Level of the City of Arkhangelsk. Ekologiya Cheloveka = Human Ecology. 2016;7:11-16 (In Russ.).
- Popov V.P. Rogozhina L.P., Kashevarova L.R.Emergency Medical Care Delivery to Casualties of Road Traffic Accidents on Federal Roads. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2017;3:22-25. (In Russ.).
- Baranov A.V., Matveyev R.P., Barachevskiy Yu.Ye., Gudkov A.B. Pelvic Injuries as an Aspect of Road Traffic Injuries. Vrach-Aspirant = Рostgraduate Doctor. 2012;3.3:389-392 (In Russ.).
- Ulyanchenko M.I. Sovershenstvovaniye Organizatsii Lechebno-Reabilitatsionnoy Pomoshchi Postradavshim v Rezultate Dorozhno-Transportnykh Proisshestviy = Improving the Organization of Medical and Rehabilitation Assistance to Victims of Road Accidents. Extended Abstract of Candidate’s Thesis in Medicine. Stavropol Publ., 2016. 24 p. (In Russ.).
- Fedotov S.A. Organizatsiya Meditsinskogo Obespecheniya Postradavshikh v Dorozhno-Transportnykh Proisshestviyakh v Moskve = Organization of Medical Support for Victims of Road Accidents in Moscow. Extended Abstract of Candidate’s Thesis in Medicine. Moscow Publ., 2012. 42 p. (In Russ.).
- Kurbanov K.M., Gadzhiyev A.N., Tagirova T.K. Accidents on Highways and Measures to Reduce the Severity of the Medical and Sanitary Consequences of Road Accidents in the Republic of Dagestan. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2009;4:37-38. (In Russ.)
- Melnikova I.S., Shkatova Ye.Yu., Uteva A.G. Indicators of the Work of Emergency Medical Care in the Elimination of the Consequences of Road Accidents in the Udmurt Republic for 2011-2018. Skoraya Meditsinskaya Pomoshch’ = Emergency Medical Care 2020;1:22-26 (In Russ.).
- Popov A.A., Chikun V.I., Popova Ye.A. Provision of Emergency Medical Care on the Territory of the Krasnoyarsk Territory in Case of Road Traffic Injury. Meditsina i Obrazovaniye v Sibiri. 2012;2:51-60 (In Russ.).
- Sebelev A.I., Yarmolich V.A., Poroyskiy S.V. Provision of Emergency Medical Assistance to Victims of Traffic Accidents in Volgograd Oblast. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2019;3:12-16 (In Russ.).
- Ulyanov A.A. Gromut A.A., Fedko R.V. Organization of Medical Assistance to Victims of Road Accidents Outside Settlements in the Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug – Yugra. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2017;4:19-21 (In Russ.).
- Rebrikov I.V., Levin A.M., Gushchin A.A., Purusov S.V. Roadside Medical Station or Mobile Medical Team? Analysis of Efficiency of Work of Specialized Team for Medical Care Delivery to Casualties of Road Traffic Accidents in Chelyabinsk Oblast. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2016;1:48-50 (In Russ.).
- Tolkachev D.A., Ruzanov H.H., Popova Ye.V. Emergency Response Teams of the Center for Disaster Medicine of the Saratov Region and Their Role in Providing Medical Assistance to Victims of Road Accidents. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2009;1:38-39 (In Russ.).
- Petchin I.V. Optimizatsiya Okazaniya Meditsinskoy Pomoshchi Postradavshim v Dorozhno-Transportnykh Proisshestviyakh v Monogorode Arkticheskoy Zony Rossii = Optimization of Medical Care for Victims of Road Traffic Accidents in the Monotown of the Arctic Zone of Russia. Extended Abstract of Candidate’s Thesis in Medicine. Moscow Publ., 2019. 27 p. (In Russ.).
- Koldin A.V. Kompleksnaya Otsenka Organizatsii Okazaniya Ekstrennoy Meditsinskoy Pomoshchi Postradavshim v Dorozhno-Transportnykh Proisshestviyakh v Dogospitalnom Periode = Comprehensive Assessment of the Organization of Emergency Medical Care for Victims of Road Accidents in the Pre-Hospital Period. Extended Abstract of Candidate’s Thesis in Medicine. Moscow Publ., 2010. 24 p. (In Russ.).
- Peshkun A.V. Dorozhno-Transportnyy Travmatizm v Moskovskoy Oblasti i Sovershenstvovaniye Okazaniya Skoroy Meditsinskoy Pomoshchi Postradavshim v Dogospitalnom Periode = Road Traffic Injuries in the Moscow Region and Improving the Provision of Emergency Medical Care to Victims in the Pre-Hospital Period. Extended Abstract of Candidate’s Thesis in Medicine. Moscow Publ., 2013. 24 p. (In Russ.).
The material was received 01.07.22; the article after peer review procedure 19.09.22; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 23.09.22