DISASTER MEDICINE No. 1•2022
Adaptation Disorders in Employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia: Style of Adaptive Response in Conditions of Professional Functioning
1 Occupational Health Facility, the Ministry of Internal Affairs for the City of Moscow, Moscow, Russian Federation
Abstract. The objectives of the study are to determine the resistance of personality to stressogenic factors, to prevent possible adaptation failures and to differentiate stylistic disorders of adaptive response from the formation of distorted schemes of adaptive response.
Materials and research methods. The study was conducted on the basis of the polyclinic of the Federal Medical and Health Care Department of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs in Moscow in 2019-2020. The study group included 74 employees of the Moscow subdivisions of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs, suffering from adaptation disorders. Distribution of patients by sex: men — 23 (31%); women — 51 (69%); age of patients — 20-45 years; average age — 35.2 years. Mean duration of the disease was 3-4 months.
Research results and their analysis. Study results showed:
– all the elements characterizing the profile of adaptive response of patients with adaptive disorder turn out to be associated to varying degrees both with certain protective mechanisms and with affective states. The latter testifies to the fact that these complex and multidimensional mental states are interconnected and interdependent with the features of the adaptive response;
– formed individual profile of protective-adaptive mechanisms and preferred response style in employees of internal affairs bodies allow to favourably assess the prospects of “successful” adaptation of persons of this category;
– professional activity tensions and daily difficulties of employees of internal affairs bodies cause activation of adaptive mechanisms focused on stabilization of intrapersonal state. The degree of intertwining of connections within individual protective profile is closely connected with features of asthenization, anxiety and depressiveness;
– process of defensive mechanisms formation is determined, in particular, by individual predisposition to certain ways of regulation, peculiarities of personal response, flexibility and stability of links formation between response variants in order to achieve effective adaptive response.
Keywords: adaptation disorders, adaptive response stylistics, coping strategies, internal affairs officers, professional functioning, protective response mechanisms
For citation:Bezchasnyy K.V. Adaptation Disorders in Employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia: Style of Adaptive Response in Conditions of Professional Functioning. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2022;1:66–70 (In Russ.).https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2022-1-66-70
- Bezchasnyy K.V. Adaptive Response in Interior Ministry Employees Suffering from Adjustment Disorder. Voprosy Material’no-Tekhnicheskogo i Meditsinskogo Obespecheniya MVD. 2020;3;120:40-44 (In Russ.).
- Isayeva E.R. Sovladayushcheye so Stressom i Zashchitnoye Povedeniye Lichnosti pri Rasstroystvakh Psikhicheskoy Adaptatsii Razlichnogo Geneza = Coping with Stress and Protective Behavior of the Individual in Mental Adaptation Disorders of Various Origins. Extended Abstract of Doctor’s thesis in Medicine. St. Petersburg, NIPNI im. V.M. Bekhtereva Publ., 2010. 48 p. (In Russ.).
- Rasskazova E.I. Latent Personality Profiles in Mental Illness: An Analysis of the Restructured MMPI-2 Clinical Scales. Obozrenie Psikhiatrii i Meditsinskoy Psikhologii im. V.M.Bekhtereva. 2019;1:52–60 (In Russ.).
- Solovyev A.G., Bogdasarov Yu.V., Ichitovkina E.G. Structure and Levels of Mental Disorders Morbidity of the Employees of the Internal Affairs Bodies. Prakticheskaya Meditsina = Practical Medicine. 2019;3:73-78 (In Russ.).
- Litvintsev S.V. Some Problem and Debatable Questions of Psychosomatic Correlations and Somatoform Disorders from Positions of Clinical Psychiatry. Obozrenie Psikhiatrii i Meditsinskoy Psikhologii Im. V.M.Bekhtereva. 2018;3:80–89 (In Russ.).
- Bezchasnyy K.V. Features of the Adaptive Response of Employees of Internal Affairs Bodies, as a Reflection of the Potential of the Individual in Conditions of the Disease with Somatized Disorder. Psikhicheskoe Zdorovye. 2021;1:22-28 (In Russ.).
- Vasserman L.I., Ababkov V.A., Trifonova Е.A. Sovladanie so Stressom. Teoriya i Psikhodiagnostika = Controlling with Stress. Theory and Psychoactivator. St. Petersburg, Rech’ Publ., 2011. 191 p. (In Russ.).
- Ichitovkina YE.G., Zlokazova M.V., Bogdasarov YU.V., Solov’yev A.G., Epshteyn A.G. A Comprehensive Approach to Psichopreventive Examination of Police Officers. Ekologiya Cheloveka = Human Ecology. 2019;3:4-8 (In Russ.).
The material was received 21.06.21; the article after peer review procedure 05.02.22; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 21.03.22