DISASTER MEDICINE No. 1•2022
Scientific and Methodical Approaches to the Assessment of the Emergency Preparedness of Medical Organizations of FMBA of Russia in the Event of a Radiation Accident
Salenko Y.A.1, Frolov G.P.1, Grachev M.I.1, Bogdanova L.S.1, Tesnov I.K. 1
1 State Research Center – Burnasyan Federal Medical Biophysical Center of Federal Medical Biological Agency, Moscow, Russian Federation
Abstract. The purpose of the study is to develop approaches to the substantiation of criteria and methods for quantitative assessment of the preparedness of medical organizations of FMBA of Russia to work in case of radiation emergency situations.
Materials and research methods. Expert (analytical) and computer-based methods were used to estimate preparedness indices for medical organizations of FMBA of Russia on the basis of consensus ideas about possible medical and sanitary consequences of radiation accidents.
Research results and their analysis. A general approach to the quantitative evaluation of emergency preparedness of medical organizations of FMBA of Russia in case of radiation accidents at the enterprises and territories they serve is formulated. The peculiarity of the approach under consideration in determining the proper (baseline) level of readiness for emergency response is the identification of the scale (magnitude) of medical and sanitary consequences based on the gradation of exposure doses and the number of victims. Approaches to substantiation of federal, regional and territorial (local) levels of emergency response of medical organizations of FMBA of Russia are proposed.
Keywords: emergency preparedness assessment, emergency response, medical and sanitary consequences, medical organizations of FMBA of Russia, radiation accidents, radiation damage, scientific and methodological approaches
For citation: Salenko Y.A., Frolov G.P., Grachev M.I., Bogdanova L.S., Tesnov I.K. Scientific and Methodical Approaches to the Assessment of the Emergency Preparedness of Medical Organizations of FMBA of Russia in the Event of a Radiation Accident. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2022;1:31-39 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.33266/2070-1004-2022-1-31-39
- Aleksakhin R.M., Buldakov L.A., Gubanov V.A., Drozhko E.G., Ilyin L.A., Kryshev I.I., et al. Major Radiation Accidents: Consequences and Protective Measures. Eds Ilyin L.A., Gubanov V.A. Moscow, IzdAT Publ., 2001. 752 p. (In Russ.).
- IAEA Safety Glossary: 2018 Edition. Vienna: IAEA, 2019. 278 p.
- Organization of Sanitary-Hygienic and Treatment-and-Prophylactic Measures in Radiation Accidents: Manual. Ed. Ilyin L.A., Moscow, VTsMK Zashchita Publ., 2005. 524 p. (In Russ.).
- Arrangements for Preparedness for a Nuclear or Radiological Emergency. Safety Guide. IAEA Safety Standards Series No. GS-G-2.1. Vienna, IAEA. 2007. 159 p.
- Preparedness and Response for a Nuclear or Radiological Emergency. General Safety Requirements No. GSR. Part 7. Vienna, IAEA, 2015. 136 p.
- Grachev M.I., Kotenko K.V., Frolov G.P., Salenko Yu.A. Health-Care Provision to the Rescue and Other Emergency Operations in Case of Radiation Accidents at Facilities under FMBA of Russia Service. Meditsina Truda i Promyshlennaya Ekologiya = Russian Journal of Occupational Health and Industrial Ecology. 2012;10:28-32 (In Russ.).
- Generic Procedures for Assessment and Response During a Radiological Emergency. IAEA-TECDOC-1162.Vienna, IAEA, 2000. 193 p.
- Method for Developing Arrangements for Response to a Nuclear or Radiological Emergency (Updating IAEA-TECDOC-953). Vienna, IAEA, 2003. 273p.
- Radiation Medicine. A Guide for Medical Researchers and Healthcare Organizers. V.2. Radiation Damages. Ed. Ilyin L.A. Moscow, IzdAT Publ., 2001. 432 p. (In Russ.).
- Grachev M.I., Salenko Yu.A., Abramov Yu.V., Frolov G.P., Klochkov V.N., Kukhta B.A., et al. Operational Values of Radioactive Skin Contamination in the Case of Radiological Accident. Meditsinskaya Radiologiya i Radiatsionnaya Bezopasnost = Medical Radiology and Radiation Safety. 2020;65;3:20-26. DOI: 10.12737/1024-6177-2020-65-3-20-26 (In Russ.).
- Lessons Learned from the Response to Radiation Emergencies (1945-2010). EPR-Lessons learned. Vienna, IAEA. 2012. 154 p.
- Frolov G.P., Kazakevich E.V., Semenov A.E., Parabin P.V., Klimenko E.I. Organization Features of Reception and Sorting Department of Multi-Specialty Hospital in Situation of Admission of Patients from Radiation Emergency Zone. Meditsina Katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2020;3:28-37. DOI: 10.33266/2070-1004-2020-3-28-37 (In Russ.).
- Salenko YuA, Grachev MI, Frolov GP, Bogdanova LS, Tesnov IK. Experience of Anti-Accident Trials and Training with Participation of Medical Emergency Radiation Dosimetry Center. Meditsina Truda i Promyshlennaya Ekologiya = Russian Journal of Occupational Health and Industrial Ecology. 2017;4:28-33 (In Russ.).
The material was received 11.10.21; the article after peer review procedure 14.02.22; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 21.03.22