DISASTER MEDICINE No. 2•2020
Analysis of Main Errors in Providing First Aid to Victims of Road Accidents and Possible Ways to Reduce their Number
Maslyakov V.V., Gorbelik V.R., Pimenov A.V., Polyakov A.V., Pimenova A.A.
Saratov Medical University “Reaviz”, Saratov, Russian Federation
Abstract. The purpose of the study is to analyze the main mistakes made by non-medical workers when providing first aid to victims of road accidents, and their relationship with the development of fatal outcomes in victims.
Materials and methods of research: stage 1 – retrospective study of 60 patients who received various injuries in an accident, first aid was provided by bystanders or relatives of the victims and whose transportation to medical institutions was carried out on unsuitable transport. Research materials – medical histories, outpatient records and protocols of forensic research.
Stage 2 – survey of 120 respondents – students of driving schools who have no secondary or higher medical education and were trained to obtain a driver’s license.
Research results and their analysis. The results of a retrospective study and survey showed that students of driving schools receive sufficient theoretical knowledge on first aid to victims of accidents, but they do not have sufficient skills to provide such assistance for various fractures and bleeding, which are the main causes of fatalities in victims of accidents. A proposal was made on possible ways of correcting the situation.
Keywords: basic errors, first aid, knowledge, non-medical workers, road accidents, skills, students of driving schools, victims
For citation: Maslyakov V.V., Gorbelik V.R., Pimenov A.V., Polyakov A.V., Pimenova A.A. Analysis of Main Errors in Providing First Aid to Victims of Road Accidents and Possible Ways to Reduce their Number. Meditsina katastrof = Disaster Medicine. 2020; 2: 62-66 (In Russ.).
1. Magdich I.A., Petrov V.P., Pyatibrat A.O. Analiz sanitarnykh i bezvozvratnykh poter’ v zavisimosti ot kharaktera i usloviy chrezvychaynykh situatsiy na zheleznoy doroge = Analysis of Sanitary and Irreparable Losses Depending on the Nature and Conditions of Railway Emergencies. Medical-biological and Socio-psychological Problems of Safety in Emergency Situations. 2019; 1: 72-80 (In Russ.).
2. Lebedev M.V., Lastoveckiy A.G., Ayvazyan A.G. Razrabotka predlozheniy po sovershenstvovaniyu meditsinskoy pomoshchi pri DTP = Development of Proposals to Improve Medical Care in Case of Accidents. News of New Medical Technologies. Electronic Edition. 2016; 2: 244-248 (In Russ.).
3. Baranov A.V., Klyuchevskiy V.V., Barachevskiy Yu.E. Organizatsiya meditsinskoy pomoshchi postradavshim v dorozhno-transportnykh proisshestviyakh na dogospital’nom etape meditsinskoy evakuatsii = Organization of Medical Assistance to Victims of Road Traffic Accidents at the Pre-emergency Stage of Medical Evacuation. Polytrauma. 2016; 1:12-17 (In Russ.).
4. Baranov A.V., Matveev R.P., Barachevskiy Yu.E. Otsenka obstoyatel’stv i tyazhesti povrezhdeniy u postradavshikh s travmami taza na etape specializirovannoy meditsinskoy pomoshchi = Assessment of the Circumstances and Severity of Injuries in Victims with Pelvic Injuries at the Stage of Specialized Medical Care. Medicine of accidents. 2012; 1: 23-25 (In Russ.).
5. Klipina T.Yu., Zaynul’dinova V.A., Krasnoyarova V.F. Optimizatsiya okazaniya meditsinskoy pomoshchi pri dorozhno-transportnom travmatizme na dorogakh respubliki Buryatiya = Optimization of Medical Care in Case of Road Traffic Injuries on the Roads of the Republic of Buryatia. Bulletin of East Siberian Scientific Centre CO RAMN. 2010; 3: 317-322. (In Russ.).
6. Kuz’min A.G. Dorozhno-transportnyy travmatizm kak natsional’naya problema = Road Traffic Injuries as a National Problem. Ecology of the Person. 2011; 3: 44-49 (In Russ.).
7. Leonov S.A., Ogryzko E.V., Andreeva T.M. Dinamika osnovnykh pokazateley avtodorozhnogo travmatizma v Rossiyskoy Federatsii = Dynamics of Main Road Injury Indicators in the Russian Federation. Journal of Traumatology and Orthopedics named after N.N. Priorov. 2009; 3: 86-91 (In Russ.).
8. Agadzhanyan V.V. Organizatsionnye problemy okazaniya pomoshchi postradavshim s politravmami = Organizational Problems of Providing Assistance to Victims with Polytraums. Polytrauma. 2012; 1: 5-9 (In Russ.).
9. Bagnenko S.F., Shapot Yu.B., Alekperov U.K. et al. Printsipy okazaniya skoroy pomoshchi postradavshim v dorozhno-transportnykh proisshestviyakh na etapakh evakuatsii v usloviyakh megapolisa = Principles for the Provision of Ambulance Assistance to Victims of Road Traffic Accidents during the Evacuation Phases in the Metropolis. I.I. Grekov Journal of Surgery. 2009; 168 (4): 92-96 (In Russ.).
10. Davletshin A.M., Hunafin S.N. Osobennosti organizatsii neotlozhnoy meditsinskoy pomoshchi na dogospital’nom etape postradavshim v DTP v Zatonskom rayone goroda Ufy = Peculiarities of the Organization of Emergency Medical Care at the Pre-emergency Stage for Victims of Road Accidents in the Zaton District of Ufa. Journal of the Bashkortostan State Medical University. 2012; 1 (1): 213-214 (In Russ.).
11. Zaritskaya L.P., Svirskiy A.A., Panov B.V. et al. Dogospital’nyy etap neotlozhnoy pomoshchi pri terminal’nykh sostoyaniyakh postradavshim na transporte = Pre-emergency Phase of Emergency Assistance in Terminal Conditions to Victims in transport. Topical Problems of Transport Medicine. 2012; 1: 110-116 (In Russ.).
12. Zuev S.G., Kuz’min A.G. Sochetannaya i mnozhestvennaya travma. Lechebnaya taktika = Combined and Multiple Trauma. Medical Tactics. Bulletin of the Russian Military Medical Academy. 2011; 1: 360-361 (In Russ.).
13. Maslyakov V.V., Kostenko E.V., Polkovov S.V. Neposredstvennye rezul’taty lecheniya zakrytykh travm pecheni, poluchennykh vsledstvie dorozhno-transportnykh proisshestviy = Immediate Results of Treatment of Closed Liver Injuries Resulting from Traffic Accidents. News of Higher Education Institutions. Volga Region. Medical Sciences. 2014; 4 (32): 54-63 (In Russ.).
14. Baranov A.V., Matveev R.P., Barachevskiy Yu.E., Gudkov A.B. Analiz okazaniya ekstrennoy meditsinskoy pomoshchi postradavshim s povrezhdeniyami taza na dogospital’nom etape = Analysis of Emergency Medical Care for Victims of Pelvic Injuries at Pre-emergency stage. Emergency Medical Service. 2012; 2: 22-25 (In Russ.).
15. Voloshina L.V. O putyakh snizheniya predotvratimoy smertnosti pri dorozhno-transportnykh proisshestviyakh na munitsipal’nom urovne = On Ways to Reduce Preventable Mortality in Road Traffic Accidents at the Municipal Level. Problems of Management of Health Care. 2011; 2: 68-72 (In Russ.).
16. Barachevskiy Yu.E., Petchin I.V., Baranov A.V., Klyuchevskiy V.V. Mediko-sotsial’naya kharakteristika dorozhno-transportnykh proisshestviy arkticheskoy zony Arkhangel’skoy oblasti = Medical and Social Characteristics of Road Traffic Accidents of the Arctic Zone of the Archangel’sk Region. Medical-biological and Socio-psychological Problems of Safety in Emergency Situations. 2017; 3: 32-37 (In Russ.).
17. Nemkovich T.V., Turkina N.V. Obuchenie voditeley okazaniyu pervoy meditsinskoy pomoshchi pri DTP = Drivers Must Know How to Render First Medical Aid in Case of Traffic Accidents. Nurse. 2012; 4: 28-32 (In Russ.).
The material was received 13.04.20; the article after peer review procedure 15.05.20; the Editorial Board accepted the article for publication 27.05.20